- Venues & Events
The Year of the Rat is predicted to be one of the luckiest yet. Success in love and money? We’re in. With expectations set high, we’re making sure we ring in Chinese New Year right.
Tradition dictates that eating particular dishes can help ensure your fortune for the coming year. At QT Wellington our very own award-winning Executive Chef Jiwon Do, has designed an auspicious Lunar New Year menu putting the signature Hot Sauce spin on traditional foods steeped in symbolism.
These three special dishes will only be available from 25 to 31 January, so get in quick.
Need all the luck you can get? We’ve also rounded up Wellington’s top spots serving the three luckiest foods, so you can maximise all the good vibes coming your way in 2020.
Fish symbolise abundance. In Chinese, the word ‘fish’ sounds similar to ‘surplus’, so steamed fish is thought to bring you more food or wealth than you need.
- HOT SAUCE PLATE: May you always have more than you need / Sashimi salad with truffle ponzu
- AROUND WELLY: Wellington has no shortage of restaurants where seafood is the star, and a classic Kiwi fish and chips suits every occasion. For something a little more upmarket, a short stroll from QT will lead you to the vibrant and bustling Ortega Fish Shack.
Legend has it that dumplings bring wealth. We’ve never heard of a better reason to indulge – the more you eat, the more money you may make in the coming year.
- HOT SAUCE PLATE: A bowl full of money / Kimchi and tofu dumpling bowl
- AROUND WELLY: Of course we’re also partial to Hot Sauce’s Pan Fried Mushroom Dumplings, but it’d be selfish not to mention Dumpling’d. In three locations around Wellington, they serve-up eight dumpling flavours steamed or pan-fried to perfection.
Slurp long noodles for longevity. Traditional longevity noodles are uncut – try not to chew so you don’t sever the long life you deserve.
- HOT SAUCE PLATE: Long noodles to bless a long life / Stir fried noodles with bulgogi beef
- AROUND WELLY: We can’t think of another food more deserving of slurping than ramen, and whilst in Wellington, The Ramen Shop is a must. Think bowls bursting to the brim with noodles, fresh produce and free-range meat of your choice.
Hot Sauce Lunar New Year plates are available 25 to 31 January. Pick two plates for $36 or three for $48. Ready to book?
World of WearableArt in the Gallery Lounge: Glistening Gothic Tracery
This wonderful, wild WOW season, visitors descend on our city for the 35th year of…The Spa Nomad’s Top Tips for a Winter Glow
Chilly season got your skin looking a little lacklustre? Ours too. In search of perfect…
QT SocialFeeling a little social? Follow QT
- Venues & Events